Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Emily Sherrill, Staff Writer

Almost ten years ago, J.K. Rowling released the conclusion to her billion dollar Harry Potter saga. Scholastic published Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on July 31, 2016, opposing many of Rowling’s claims about no new stories in the Wizarding World. Though Rowling did not write the script, she contributed to the story and characters allowing the story to agree with any other J.K. Rowling story by creating the story line with writer Jack Thorne.

The plot centers around Harry’s youngest boy, Albus Potter, and Draco Malfoy’s only child, Scorpius Malfoy, who is easily the best character in the story, trying to survive their teen years as outcasts. It also includes familiar characters such as the Golden Trio and their other children. It also includes old favorites such as Dumbledore, Snape, and Cedric Diggory. The references to the seven-book long series cause any Potterhead to rejoice. On top of that, Albus’ quick wit and Scorpius’ awkwardly charming personality are enough to propel Harry Potter fans into the new era of Hogwarts students. In the measly 308 pages provided, Thorne manages to warm readers towards the recently introduced characters.

The fact that the book is not written conventionally as a novel but rather a published play script may turn some people off to the idea of it, but even with that type of writing, it was a page-turner. The story lies within the dialogue as any usual play, but the stage directions also contribute to the experience.

Even for new fans of the series, the play may be a good stand alone for those who want to dip into the world of Harry Potter. For fans ready to return to the ever welcoming Hogwarts by page, this novel is an exciting and nostalgic read that can melt even the coldest of hearts.