South’s fall play performers showcase twentieth century suspenseful comedy

Isabella Paredes, Editor-in-Chief

Plainfield South’s students and faculty performed the play titled “The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940” the weekend of Nov. 17.

The play, written by John Bishop, centers around a creative team responsible for a play that failed on Broadway, during which three girls were murdered. The team gather at the estate of a wealthy theatre fanatic to hold auditions for their next show.

“The shows were all great and I think the cast and audience had a blast,” said Alex Ohlson, a senior who played an Irishman named Patrick O’Reiliey.
Kaitlyn Alioto, one of two student directors, said comedic acting has been a very important facet for the show and claimed the cast prepared for their roles with both “physical comedy and excellent character development.”

According to Susan Kamrowski, English teacher and play director, students also learned how to handle numerous props and costumes with ease. The last week or two of practice before the play, also known as tech week, is when the cast accomplished most of this.

“The play went from awful to terrific in one week,” Ohlson said.

During tech week, students that participated in crew also perfected the lighting, sound and sets of the scene. During this time, students stayed after school until 8 P.M. on some nights
“Tech week was both exciting and stressful for everyone involved,” Alioto said.
                                                              Photo courtesy of Jamiah Sanders

“‘The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940” is one of my favorite plays,” Kamrowski said. “It’s fun for the people working on the show and the audience.”
The musical directors announced that the spring musical, will be ‘Urinetown,’ a story about a town that requires residents to pay to use the restroom.