Senior Goodbyes: River Finnegan

River Finnegan, News and Feature Editor, Online Editor-in-Chief

It’s hard to write the closing to something that doesn’t feel like its ending. It’s bittersweet to know I won’t be coming back next year, but I know that I’m off to bigger and better things.
This space for me was inclusive, insightful, informational, and my first experience where working as a group actually paid off in the end. There have been good moments and plenty of bad, but overall my experience was positive.

I’ve grown from a shy peson who never really enjoyed conflict to someone who is more outspoken than the rest of the people around me. I’m excited to continue to challenege myself and experience situations I never would’ve imagined myself in 4 years ago.

I came out freshman year and slowly I’ve accepted who I am and there isn’t a single thing that I would change. I’m thankful to my family and friends for being so supportive and understanding, it would’ve been hard to shoulder on my own.

I met my closest friends because of journalism, and I’ve experienced things I never would’ve achieved if I hadn’t joined. I had my articles published for others to read, I got 1st place in copywriting at IHSA State Championship, I helped organize March For Our Lives Chicago that drew 100,000 people with my friends, and I got into Carthage College where I’ll be majoring in english and communications.

It’s hard to accept that my life is changing so quickly and that I won’t be able to see my best friends as much as I do know but I know we’re all going to stay in touch whether it be spending hours on a train or have a six-way facetime call.

I want to say I’ll miss high school but it feels good to finally move on.