Students should clean up after themselves

Kaitlyn Shreffler, Staff Writer

School is a place where students go to learn, but they also need to be responsible and keep the school clean. Students produce trash. Whether it is unfinished food, food wrappers, crumpled paper, or whatever the student doesn’t want anymore, it is a problem. Staff members and responsible students are tired of picking up after students, and the staff alone should not have to clean up the messes students make.
In the cafe students tend to leave trash and food on their tables. What causes a student to leave trash for others to clean? Maybe laziness or the mess is too gross for them to even clean up. It’s not fair for staff members and students to clean up a mess they didn’t make.
A no food rule was implemented this year that does not allow food or drinks outside of the cafe. This rule was put in place to stop students from spilling drinks or food in the hallways and classrooms. However, trash still ends up in classrooms and in the halls.
Students need to take responsibility for their actions. The garbage dropped in the hallway could easily be thrown away in a trash can. There is a trash can in every hallway, so why take the time to drop trash on the ground? If there is garbage someone else left behind, just pick it up and help keep the school clean. You have to do that in the “real world” anyway, right?
In the future students need to be mindful that their actions of littering have negative effects on school appreance and future choices.