Career week returns in April

Olafur Engelby, Staff Writer

Oh yes. It’s that time of the year again where we all get together and appreciate what we have, and what’s in store for us in the future. No, it’s not Christmas or Hanukah. It’s about that special week where professionals from all over America get together here at Plainfield South to talk about their experiences in their respective career fields. It’s time for career week!
During the week of April 10, students will get a chance to learn about different careers and subjects in which they are interested. The visitors will come during study halls and class periods to talk about their experiences in their jobs.
“We try to showcase as many different career clusters as we can,” said Nicole Ursetta, counselor and coordinator of career week. “We’ve had anything from crime scene investigators to eye doctors and chiropractors to pastry chefs and business owners to engineers.”
According to Ursetta, some of the best visitors to come in career week are the ones who engage students with props and demonstrations.
“One of the more interesting people we’ve had is an eye doctor who invited students to come watch a live eye surgery,” Ursetta said.
Popular career choices for high schoolers are those in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields. With these topics, an almost limitless amount of career paths open up to students who are interested.
However, all is not lost for students that are not particularly interested in a specific career, because it can actually work to their benefit.
“I think it is important to know what your interests are so you know what might be a good fit for you.” Ursetta said. “I don’t think it is necessary that you have to be set on a specific career path this early on in life, because chances are [your career choice] will change several times. But I think it is important to know what you do and don’t like to do so you can pick something that’s a good fit.”
The College and Career Center has the information needed to research almost every profession they could think of. Also, the Plainfield South website contains links to resources and handbooks that could prove helpful for someone searching for a career.
Career week is a great chance for students to learn more about what their future may hold and there is no greater chance to do so in high school before its late.