Student views on the new school improvement days (negative)

Kaitlin Darche, Photography

Halfdays in high school seem to be pointless for both the students and staff. Going to school for three or four hours with just 20 minutes of class wastes more time than effectively utilized learning. The education system wants the students’ tests scores to go up, but how can the scores get higher when the five instructional days get shorter?

Twenty minutes in each class will not improve the students’ test scores, nor is it enough time to go over new material. If the school system took away some of the half days that are planned this year, it would have more opportunities for students to learn the information that goes towards tests and quizzes. If students have more time in class, they will also be more motivated to learn at a higher rate.

The improvement days are not helping anything. Missing school hurts students’ education. How are improvement days supposed to help? How the students supposed to learn when the instructors are the only ones improving. Teachers sit in rooms thinking about better ways to teach new lessons, while the students wait on the couch for the next school day.

School boards want to change our education, yet they keep taking the students out of the classes that are supposed to teach us. Taking us out class will affect our grades and have politicians complain about this country’s rates for education. The only people to blame are the ones who take the students out of school.

In previous years, the school had 5 hour days. On the five hour days, students actually got to learn new lessons and get an education. If the school board brought those back students will do better in school and want to be here.