Student parking lot causes headaches

Kaitlin Darche, Features Editor

Getting through the hallways is an accomplishment, but getting out of the parking lot after school deserves a grand prize. Currently, students walk anywhere and everywhere in the parking lot after school as if they are zombies roaming for food. Drivers fly through the lot like speeding bullets, and cellphone usage while walking is at a height. Students need to stuff their phones back into their pockets and look where they are walking. I’m sure social media isn’t worth dying over.
Also, it’s not only the crazy pedestrians and drivers out there, getting out of the school lot is nearly impossible in a timely manner. School gets out at 2:10 p.m. and by the time its 2:30 p.m., there’s still a vast amount of cars waiting to exit. Why should it take 20 minutes to get out of a parking lot?
Students need to stop walking and texting at the same time. Driving in the parking lot with students not looking where they are can cause not only serious damage to the student, but also the driver. The parking lot is a crazed mess that needs to be fixed.
If there was a more organized way to get out of the parking lot, then there would be less risks and accidents. The school needs more than one person standing out there. Students’ safety is a priority for the faculty, yet students roam around the parking lot like they don’t care about their own body. How is that safe? South needs to be aware of the dangers in the parking lot and make the appropriate changes.