Teacher Spotlight: Math teacher Allen

Brad McClelland, Co-Editor in Chief

Kevin Allen, who was the graduation speaker two years ago, has a strong passion for teaching students and hopes to make a positive impact overall.
“My favorite part [of teaching] is hoping to be able to influence students, have a positive impact, and get them to want to learn,” said Allen, who is one of the math teacher in the school. “I am very passionate about helping students, and I’m very passionate about math in general,” Allen said.
Other teachers have noticed Allen’s charisma as well.
“Though I don’t get to work with Mr. Allen directly each day, the best part of working with him would definitely be his attitude and passion. I think his commitment to our students and to South is incredibly admirable,” said English teacher Hannah Christie.
His major goal as a teacher is to keep teaching until he retires. He believes everyone deserves recognition for their hard work.
“Being selected graduation speaker a couple years ago was my present and my recognition,” Allen said.
However, Allen admits that it is not easy to choose a life career.
“I thought for the longest time I was going to be a professional soccer player. Then I needed to have a backup plan, and I had a passion for math and a passion for coaching. I worked my way into teaching because I wanted to coach and I wanted to be a leader,” Allen said.
Allen’s passion for soccer began at age five. He then played all through high school at Providence Catholic and in college at Milikin University. After he stopped playing, he coached for 12 years including seven years as boys assistant head coach and head for five years.
Students are most important to him. Allen said they are the best part of the job. He also said that the feedback from students and administration also make the job enjoyable.
Allen understands some kids have trouble with math and do not grasp some of the concepts as easy as others do. Math can be challenging, but Allen is willing to help students overcome their challenges and be as successful as they can.
“[The biggest challenges are always going to be] trying to relate concepts to students. Having them know it is math, but there is also some other things that we can take away from the challenge of an honors course or an AP course. I think getting students to realize that they have the ability [is challenging too]. I need to kind of push them along and to encourage them to do more, and hopefully they can do what is expected,” Allen said.
Allen’s inspiration is noticed by others and how well he connects with the students.
“One of Mr. Allen’s best qualities as a teacher is his ability to create meaningful connections with our students–connections that continue to inspire them beyond high school. It goes without saying, but he also has super rad Christmas sweaters that I am super jealous of, to say the least,” Christie said.