Dracula Review

Matt Hehl, Online Editor-In-Chief

On Nov. 20-22, the Drama Club put on a performance of the popular classic Dracula. In this adaptation of the original Bram Stoker story, written by John Mattera, Count Dracula (TJ Mulcahy) plans to purchase an estate from Jonathan Harker (Joe Gielow) and ends up falling in love with Harker’s fiancée Lucy Westenra (Abby Ohlson). While the Count attempts to lure her in it is up to Prof. Abraham Van Helsing (Brandon Smith), Dr. Peter Seward (Matt Hehl), and bug-eating lunatic Mr. Renfield (Liam Dwyer), to save her.
“My favorite part in the play are the over-dramatics. The script vacillates from being realistic to surreal. To play the surreal, you must be surreal and the process of helping students reach that point is very enjoyable.” said Director Susan Kamrowski. “Including cast and crew, there are approximately 60 students involved in this production. I decided to go with a smaller cast to focus more on character development and annunciation.”
“I think the play went great!” said student director Maddy Wheaton. “I felt that having a small cast helped build the chemistry among the actors and that bond really showed on the stage.”
The play ran from Nov. 20-22 and even through it rain and snowed, it managed to pull in a good audience every night. Next up for the Drama Club will be the Spring Musical Beauty & The Beast.