South students, staff help families in need

Maddy Wheaton, Co- Editor in Chief

This holiday season is a wonderful time of the year to spend time with family and share gifts with those you love. However, not everyone is fortune enough to have the money to buy presents.

Many clubs and groups at South organized donations to help families in need. On Friday December 11, 2015 seniors Shannon Cavins and McKayla Balun helped organized a donation drive for PSLC that collected hats, scarves, coats, gloves and other winter clothing to donate to a local homeless shelter.

“It is rewarding because we are collecting clothing items for people who are less fortunate and that is an amazing feeling,” said Cavins.

The Cougar Needy Family Organization, guided by Jessica Muller in student services, collected a variety of gifts and donations from many groups and teachers.

The Speech Team, Paw Print, and Scholastic Bowl all partnered together and donated money to buy gifts one of those needy families. The advisors were able to buy two bikes and a 50 dollar gift card for the family.

The English/Humanities department also collected and donated clothing for a family as well through the Cougar Needy Foundation. The final count was due Monday, December 14, 2015.

Leadership Though Action and Purpose (LTAP) also did a food drive and many clubs made blankets, all of which were to help people in need this holiday season.