Is College Overpriced?

Marissa Finley, Staff Writer

Modern day society expects of seniors graduating high school to go to college and leaving them to figure out how to pay off the debt for the rest of their lives.

A lot of different spectrums of college are extremely expensive. There are multiple aspects that students are expected to pay for with all of the different fees included in tuition.

According to Marc Joseph, author and editor for Huffington Post, the average yearly budget to attend an in-state public university is $22,261 and for private, it is $43,289.

Following that, Joseph goes on to say that CNN reports that the average student from the class of 2013 is in about $35,200 in debt.

“Modern day tuitions are getting very expensive, making an average student difficult to attend, even with scholarships and financial aid,” said Emily Guerrero, senior at Plainfield South High School.

Following up Guerrero, Jill Langnickel, Plainfield mother of three, says that college tuition will keep rising because they know that many students will pay whatever it takes in hopes of receiving a successful future.

Students are paying thousands of dollars to go to colleges of their choice. Some then go into debt right out of college with no guarantee of a successful career.

Found on the website of University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, tuition rates include numerous amount of fees including an enrollment fee, health care, and so on.

Joseph claims that America is the land of dreams and opportunity and anyone passionate enough to go to college should be able to do so.

Another issue with the cost of college is that it is unfair for those in poverty.

According to Emily Jane Fox, a reporter for CNN Money, student David Nguyen could not attend college where he wanted because he could not afford it. Fox also says that Nguyen’s dream college was $63,000 a year and he knew with his parents’ income, he would never be able to afford that.

A student who is driven like Nguyen is not given the opportunity to do so because of green paper, something so prominent in today’s sick society.

Joseph states that about 54 percent of college students actually graduate within six years of starting college.

Even if every person graduating wants to endeavor on to college, some do not realistically have that choice. Those with no money cannot magically come up with a way to become rich enough to pay off thousands of dollars in student debt.

Fox says that another student, Irene Parriski, said that her dream school was off the table because of the price and that made her “sick to her stomach” because it was “all about the money.”

If one would ask a member of the government whether they prioritize money or education, the results may be more tragic than ever.

Something that seems to be negative about overpriced college is that scholarship seem to be extremely rare.

According to Anna North, Jezebel editor and author, FMAE’s website for scholarships regarding equality for all students states that they are no advocate for white supremacy.

The scariest part of scholarships straying away from giving white students all the scholarships is that they may just be disregarding white scholarships as they continue down the word. Scholarships being based off of race is irrational and should not at all be in factor in determining how much money a student deserves. Scholarships should be focused solely on academics and extracurricular activities.

North claims Colby Bohannon is a white male who established a scholarship fund for white males like himself. North also quotes Bohannon saying that just because you are white does not mean that you are made of money.

Students/people want an equal chance at going to college at the most affordable rate possible.

Joseph states that all parents want scholarships for their kids just as much as the students do but the economy is getting weaker and therefore, forcing institutions to limit their generosity.

The most crumbling factor of overpriced college is having to get a career to pay off the money you spent to get that career. Langnickel claims that her career reimbursed her tuition while they had to pay off her husband’s debt for many years.

A lot of times, college tuition is yet another bill being sent in the mail, along with all of the other expenses a family needs to pay off in order to make ends meet. According to Guerrero, college tuition has a huge factor on the college she chooses because it determines the amount of debt she must deal with for the rest of her life.

If one realizes that they will be spending more than they may be making in their future career that could potentially be a major let down. According to Tom Lindsay, Forbe’s contributor, a nationwide Pew Study finds that 57 percent of students believe that a college degree no longer carries the same value.

Fox said that student Kate Hutchins turned down her acceptance to UCLA to avoid future debt. These students do not want to go to their dream college if that means being in debt for the rest of their lives.

Langnickel says that people are committing to paying these outrageous amounts with the hopes of getting good, high-paying jobs although they are not promised even fulfilling their dream careers in the first place.

As high as tuition prices may reach, senior Danny Arellanes at Plainfield South High School says that there is not a limit to following your dreams.

Tuition prices may reach very high measures but some see beyond those measures with high hopes and inspiration.

What some are not realizing, though, is that they may be risking a future filled with debt and possibly the lack of a well-paying career.

In the end, it would be beneficial to society if state legislators would help provide a well-rounded, affordable college experience for all who wish to pursue that.