Poms team features Disney routine

Maddy Wheaton, Editor in Chief

With a Disney inspired dance, the varsity Poms team is building momentum from last year with hopes to achieve many goals this season.
“I thought the music was very powerful, dynamic and different than other songs I’ve seen at competitions,” varsity coach Natalie Fisher said about the new dance this year.
“Our dance is based off the Lion King this year. The lead part is performed by Marissa Corcoran. She’s Mufasa and the rest of us [the dancers] are the ones holding her back until the end when she beats us and rises to power,” senior dancer Annie Granato said.
Like the classic Disney movie, the dance is about a struggle of power between groups of people. And like most dances, there is an interpretive meaning behind the dance.
“We’ve connected this story to an even greater meaning for the girls: how there may be negative aspects in your life trying to pull you down and hold you back from being happy (people, stressors, and bad influences), but that you can ultimately overcome them.  I think it is a great lesson that many can relate to and understand,” Fisher said.
Peer pressues are a common issue in school and the dancers pull from these relatable issues to inspire the dance.
“As a team we think about all the negativity that brings us down and put that into our dancing, so we can tell the story of overcoming the hardships and not letting it bring us down,” senior Lizzie Lunn said, who is a captain on the team.
Through all the trials of high school, the team aims to stay together.
“We have team dinners, conduct team bonding, and performed at the mall [by] welcoming Santa [with] a Christmas dance,” Granato said.
Lunn who is a four year varsity dancer, said this last year comes with many emotions.
“I’ve been a part of this team for four years now and I’ve never felt more close to my teammates in any other season,” said Lunn. “Getting together is fun for us and helps us connect while we dance.”
Fisher sees this bond during practices with the team as well.
“This year’s team is special because they are a close group of girls who are willing to come early/stay late and do anything to help each other,” said Fisher.
The hard work the dancers puts in connects to the scores they receive. PSHS hosted conference on Saturday 16, 2016 where Varsity took fifth and JV took first place. These high placements will help the team ultimately accomplish many of the goals.
“Our team goal is to end this season making a mark. We want people to see the work we put into what we do because it’s important to us and a great experience,” Lunn said.
At sectionals the girls did not place high enough to not qualify for state, but they still have much to look forward to.
Granato is excited for events like Pack the House Night, kids camps for young dancers, and senior night.
Coach Fisher agrees with Granato and Lunn except she hopes for something more personal for each dancer.
“I always hope that my dancers’ end each season knowing they danced their hearts out,” said Fisher, “[that they] did everything they could, and gained unforgettable memories.”