South welcomes new football coach

Ryan Murray, Staff writer

After the 2015 fall football season ended, Coach Ken Bublitz resigned from the head football coaching position, taking the full time position as athletic director. In March Bill Bicker from Metea Valley High School became the new head coach for the 2016 team and plans to focus not only on building success on the field, but in encouraging all athletes to assume leadership roles.
“We will focus on the process and emphasize getting better every day.  The cornerstone of our program will be the Core 4 – Be Respectful, Be Responsible, Be Hardworking, and Be Caring.  These are the 4 traits of successful people and we want our players to be successful on the field, in the classroom and in life.  If they exhibit these four traits in everything they do, they are certain to be [successful],” Bicker said.
Bicker grew up in Wheaton, Illinois and played football and baseball at Wheaton North High School team. After high school Bicker went on to study at University of Illinois Urbana- Champaign for his undergrad and earned his Master degree from National Louis University and Northern Illinois. In 1999 Bicker started coaching at Wheaton North as the sophomore offensive coordinator. From 2001-2007 Bicker coached at West Chicago, starting off as the sophomore offensive coordinator and then promoted to varsity defensive back. In 2007 he was promoted to the varsity defensive coordinator.
“I briefly stepped away from coaching to enter school administration. I returned to coaching in 2010 at York High School where I was varsity defensive backs coach,” Bicker said. In 2012 Bicker returned to West Chicago, but in 2014, he went to Metea Valley and was the varsity outside linebackers coach.
Bicker stated that his teaching position is not yet finalized for the upcoming school year, but he has taught History and English in the past. When Bicker was 17, his high school football coach told him he would be in a situation like this one day.
“‘You’re going to be a head coach one day you need to start thinking like one,’ my coach said. That led me to becoming a teacher, and as I started coaching football I knew that I wanted to be a coach. So I guess it all started at 17,”Bicker said.
Although South’s campus is new to him, Bublitz will still be a close contact for Bicker as he heads into his first year as head coach at South.
“It is logical to understand that as the former head coach, who is still in the building as now as a administer, is going to be somebody that this person can go to for resources for information and equipment and just to understand how things work here at Plainfield South,” Principal Yanello.
Bicker said he is beyond excited to coach at South and to meet the students and the athletes. He said everyone that he has talked to has been very supportive and enthusiastic.
“I want our football team to be known for the 2 Is: Intensity and Intelligence.  I believe that passion and intensity plus intelligence and preparedness equals positive outcomes. .
Coach Bicker and the players look to build off of a 5-5 record last season that got them into the playoffs.