Teacher spotlight: drivers ed teacher and golf coach, Tim Boe

James Dralle, Staff Writer

Learning the way of the road can be a very stressful task for students who are just starting to drive, and bad experiences can steer drivers away. On the other hand, Tim Boe, the driver’s Ed instructor and physical education teacher, strives to make sure this never happens.

“As a teacher I really like the fact the kids are interested in the class. You can certainly see it in their eyes and feel it in the classroom that they’re interested in doing this. There seems to be a little extra motivation in the class,” Boe said.

Boe likes to see students learn essential skills in the class and take drivers’ Ed seriously. He says those students are motivated to do well and get on the road and drive.

Boe agrees, however, that driving at times can be very stressful depending on the situation. He said as long as you drive smart and use all of your knowledge from what you’ve learned in Drivers Ed, you should turn out just fine.

“It was my very first time on the expressway with a student, and we got on the exit ramp and she was doing great. Then, there was a car driving right towards us the wrong way, and obviously the other driver was going the wrong way,” Boe said.

Boe says driving is something that should always be taken seriously, and when it’s not the consequences can be permanent. If the driver does not pay attention or is not cautious enough, this can impact everyone on the road.

“Accidents are called accidents because people don’t expect them to happen. People get too comfortable on the road,” Boe said.

When Boe is not on the road, he is either coaching golf or basketball, or he is spending time with his family.

“I was on the basketball team during high school, and I played ‘left out,’ Boe said. He laughed after the statement, chuckling at the fact he wasn’t picked very often but said it doesn’t bother him now.

“I like how the game of basketball kind of intertwines individual ability and teamwork. It’s pretty cool to see kids improve as individuals,” Boe said.

Boes wife, Kristi Boe, is the assistant principal in the building and adds that it’s great being able to work in the same building as her husband.

She also says that it’s great that her husband is able to teach and coach while remaining a great father. She said having four kids can get a little hectic, especially when they need to bring one of them around everywhere. However, they still manage to get their homework done and bring them to dance.

“It takes some sacrifice on my part but he is making a difference in young men’s lives,” Kristi Boe said. Whether it’s teaching young high school students, or coaching various sports teams, Boe goes a great length to make the difference in student lives.