Wrestling wins first regional title

Plainfield+South+won+their+first+team+regional+title+on+Feb.+4+in+Rock+Island.+The+team+also+sent+two+wrestlers+to+individual+state%3A+Dominic+Ferraro+and+Envo+Silva.+

Corey Carver

Plainfield South won their first team regional title on Feb. 4 in Rock Island. The team also sent two wrestlers to individual state: Dominic Ferraro and Envo Silva.

Jack Leach, Staff Writer

South’s reign as conference champs came to an end after three straight years of SPC dominance. With a talented-filled varsity roster, the team set their eyes on state.

After conference, regionals was the first stop for South as they wrestled for team and individual achievements.

The Rock Island Regional consisted of nine individual sectional qualifiers, including first-place finishes from Enzo Silva, Zach Kolb, Erik Santiago, and Lalo Palomares. South also won its first ever regional championship.

“It was really special. The first time winning team regionals was a huge step for our program,” senior heavyweight (285 lb.) Dominic Ferraro said.

Satisfaction was an understatement after regionals as the individual qualifiers prepared for the sectional at Normal Community High School.

In a sectional that included four individual to-be state champions, the Cougars showed no sense of fear and wrestled to their capabilities.

According to junior wrestler Erik Santiago, the team was confident going in, and is used to being in difficult and stressful situations.

Encouraging the wrestlers to reach full potential is a focus expressed by Coaches Joby Bodi and Jason Acevedo.

“They prepare us with great, intense practices all the time. Also, they keep us motivated on our goals and don’t let us settle for anything but the best,” the 152 lb. Santiago said.

Two Cougars came out state qualifiers: Silva, representing the 106 lb. weight class, and Ferraro representing the heavyweight class.

The road to Champaign was complete as both wrestlers showed up to the doors of the State Farm Center ready to compete.

Wrestling in Champaign seemed to be special moment for Silva as he intended to continue his brother’s legacy.

Miguel Silva, graduating class of 2014, was the best wrestler South’s ever had according to Acevedo. Silva (Miguel) placed 2nd at state his junior and senior years. 

“It felt great to continue the Silva family legacy. I notice that expectations are high, but I just try to be a better me; I know what I’m capable of,” sophomore Silva said.

Neither Silva or Ferraro placed at state, but team and individual improvement looks to be certain as nine varsity starters return next year.