South’s poms team hosts annual clinic for young local dancers

Isabella Parades, Editor in Chief

Dozens of young girls gathered for rehearsal on Feb. 1 and Feb. 2 to practice for a performance with South’s Cougarettes during the halftime routine of the Feb. 3 basketball game.

“[The kiddie camp] acts as an introductory thing for girls in eighth grade who are trying out for the team the following year and as an overall fun time for the younger girls,” Faith Harris, a senior on the poms team said. The clinic takes place every year and is for students in kindergarten to eighth grade.

“Dance team members from both JV and varsity choreograph the routine and split it into three groups based on difficulty,” Harris said.  The two groups with the younger dancers have easier moves, while the older group is a tool for the poms team to observe and train possible future members.

“It is rewarding to see these young students grow from year to year, in hopes of eventually becoming a Plainfield South Cougarette,” said Natalie Fisher, the head poms coach.  Fisher also enjoys watching members of the team become mentors and gain leadership and communication skills through this experience.

The fall and winter dance clinics began four years, when Fisher first became the head poms coach.

According to Fisher, the poms team puts a lot of time and effort into planning each dance clinic.

“We have to choose the music and choreograph the routine, and set up a schedule for each clinic day,” Harris said. They also must devote time to spreading the word to the younger members of the community.

While it may be difficult for the team members to constantly monitor the younger dancers, they still manage to have a fun time.

“Sometimes the younger girls get a little restless and we often play games to give them a break, but overall everyone has a fun time,” said Harris.

The best part for most of the team is watching the dancers have fun performing the dance they learned for their parents.

“I love seeing [the girls] come back because not only are they enjoying it, but they have developed a love of dance because of the clinic,” said Harris.