Superintendent’s contract extends, he continues to impact students in district

Isabella Paredes, Editor-in-chief

The Board of Education extended the District Superintendent Dr. Lane Abrell’s contract after reviewing his performance and progress throughout the years. Abrell has been in the education field for over thirty years and in the next three, he hopes to continue making improvements to the schools in the district.
“Under Dr. Abrell, the district has made advances in the areas of student achievement, finances, facility improvements, and community relations,” said Michelle Smith, the President of the Board of Education in the press release on Feb. 27. Abrell has been a faculty member in District 202 for 20 years, starting with a position as assisant principal for Plainfield High School.
Despite his achievements in the past three years, Abrell continues to search for ways to better the schools and community.
“We’re looking to offer more programs for students, whether it’s extracurricular activities or classes,” Abrell said. According to Abrell, any new programs the district offers will be based off of how they balance the current finances.
To get a better idea of what the individual schools need to improve upon, Abrell spends some of his time observing school environments first-hand. He visits around three schools per week and wishes he could visit more.
“Often times you see [Dr. Abrell] out here observing and walking around to see students and staff in action so he knows what’s happening in the buildings,” Principal Bob Yanello said.
“He is very visible and in touch with the community,” said Tom Hernandez, the Director of Public Relations for District 202.
To accomplish his goals, Abrell works closely with principals and other members of the administration.
“Dr. Abrell is very visible and he understands the high school setting having once been a high school principal himself,” said Yanello. “He knows the importance of allowing high school administration and staff to make their own decisions.” Abrell’s past experience as a teacher, coach and principal allows him to have a better idea of what the schools need.
Abrell said he hopes to leave a positive, long-lasting impact when he leaves the district in the future.
“At the end of the road, I hope that I leave the Plainfield school district in a better place than it was when I was hired in 1997,” Abrell said.