Addams Family school musical entertains audience

Luke Mathis, Staff Writer

This year’s springs musical, The Addams Family, is a whimsical student production of the classic comedy, which is a satirical twist on the ideal 20th century family. The original family is a unique mix of creepy creatures, but South’s actors give the Broadway hit a more comedic spin.

The cast and crew have been working hard for the initial curtain rise on March 17.  With the date fast approaching, the pressure is on to get the production ready from rehearsal to premiere without a hitch.

“I enjoy seeing all these amazingly talented kids come together to put on an incredible show,” says Emily Bowen, student technical director. Like Bowen the rest of the cast is excited to see the audience laugh. This year’s musical is very comedic which sets it apart from past musicals. The dynamic of The Addams Family is one of sarcastic humor that the actors are bringing to life here at South.

The musical’s success in past years has been attributed to its continued quality with tremendous costume design and fantastic sets created and maintained by the very involved stage crew. Last year’s Beauty and the Beast’s big success was due to the outstanding acting quality and the design of the beast costume.

This year’s musical, an adaptation of a Broadway stage play starring Natalie Spies as Wednesday with Alex Ohlson as her romantic interest who is slowly changing Wednesday into aa fairly “normal” girl which does not please the rest of her family.

“Actors tend to feed off the audience response, so when people are laughing in the crowd it’s really going to give us a lot of positive energy and make the show better,” says Riley Mulcahy, Alice Beineke in the production. Her character, Alice, goes through a dramatic change throughout the play that has been a challenge for her to play, but she says she is enjoying it all the same. It’s not just the cast that makes a production come together but it is also the crew.

“Seeing [the musical] transform from just reading from a script to spectacular sets and lighting and seeing these characters come alive is a dream” Bowen said.

According to Kancauski, Assistant Musical Director “the cast and crew have been putting in an incredible amount of work over the last weeks.”

The cast and crew expect a very entertaining and dramatically humorous musical that has taken hard work to pull together but overall is something to be proud of.