Baseball and softball coaches hope for great season

Emily Gonzalez, Staff Writer

The baseball and softball season has started and both coaches are preparing for a successful season.

After finishing in the final eight at super sectionals, Phil Bodine, baseball coach, hopes to make it to state this year.  With try outs over, his team practices rigorously before and after school in preparation for their upcoming games.

“Each practice has a theme, whether it’s a defensive day, an offensive day or a team day” Bodine said.

The team also participates in all hit days, where they practice batting, and hold sessions in the classroom where they focus on learning philosophy of baseball and different game mechanics.

Bodine said that to improve this year, he wants to focus on playing clean baseball, meaning minimal mistakes and routine plays.  He is confident in his team’s ability and hopes to keep their heads in the game this year.

Last year, the softball team did not perform as well as they had hoped. This year, they are more optimistic.

“I believe this year with the new coaching staff out team will have an opportunity to improve” Katerina Kilgore, junior on the varsity team, said. The new head coach for the softball team is Dave Randell, a retired Athletic director turned full time coach. He has said that this year he plans on developing his philosophy and style of coaching.

“Sports are games that give coaches the opportunity to teach players lifelong concepts for real life.  Winning games is our goal but never at the expense of your values.” Randell said.

Pre-season practices for softball brings all the different levels of playing together.  After school each team learns game mechanics, and conditions to improve athleticism.  Randell said he will implement team defense and offense after individual skills are learned.

“I want the freshman to get the same teaching that the seniors are getting to ensure consistency throughout the program,” Randell said.

The baseball team’s first game in March 16 at Plainfield South and softball’s is March 18 at Nazareth Academy.