Senior sparks interests for South

River Finnegan, News/Feature Editor

Joey Calabrese, a senior at Plainfield South, is a man of many trades. While some know him as the kid who broke his neck freshman year, there are many other interesting attributes to learn about.
Calabrese has left a substantial mark among his peers and in the school. He is a PSLC member and is involved in several after school extracurriculars: student council and politics club. His junior year he attempted to start his own club.
“The ping pong team has acquired over 600 signatures for its creation, and if it weren’t for work, school work, and the acquisition of affordable ping pong tables… The PSHS ping pong team was not that far off of a dream,” said Calabrese.
Calabrese is an AP and Honors student, drawing a lot of his attitude toward school and his future from the teachers he’s had over the years.
“”The cake definitely goes to Mr. Boe. His teaching style, attitude, and his outlook on life are really admirable as a person,” said Calabrese. “He makes going into PSLC everyday a blast, and I’m genuinely interested in everything the man has to say. Props to you, Mr. Boe.”
Outside of school is almost as busy as his academic life. He holds a job at Home Goods after he realized working at Jewel Osco and Oberweis wasn’t for him, and participates in military training for the US Marine Corp (USMC).
As senior year comes closer to an end, everyone has already been thinking about what they’ll be doing for the rest of their lives.
“My current goal is to serve in the USMC for at least eight years, though I wouldn’t be opposed to going for the full twenty,” said Calabrese. “Following that I want to always be in a career that helps people. Law enforcement, an EMT, or even hospital work would suit me the best.”
For his last year at South, he plans to run for student council president.
“I’m running for student council president because I want to ensure our class leaves a lasting impression on PSHS,” said Calabrese. “This year has already been a great, great year. I truly want to embolden that through class and school pride.”