Boy’s head golf coach sets opportunistic attitude

Jack Leach, Sports Editor

Opportunity. The reocurring theme taken on by head coach, Tim Boe, accurately fits the description of the 2017 season, as the Cougars play with one of the largest underclassmen rosters in South history.
“We have 12 kids that
didn’t even play golf last year: seven freshmen and five sophomores,” Boe said. “Those kids are granted a chance to do something that they’ve never done before, and they’re taking advantage of it.”
Taking advantage of an opportunity leaves the golfers with nothing but a critical mindset of constant improvement.
“We need to constantly be getting better, especially towards the end of the season,” Boe said. “It’s easy to say, but difficult to do.”
Parker Govern, senior, has taken this expectation and turned it into motivation.
“I love the game of golf, because there’s endless room for improvement no matter how positive you felt during or after a round,” Govern said.
As of September 12, Govern leads the SPC Conference’s title ranking.
“Parker has a chance to win conference,” Boe said. “He’s made improvements every year, and is currently the best golfer with only two matches left to play.”
According to Govern, he also believes that he has a great chance to win, but winning conference isn’t the only objective his eyes are set on.
“Individually, I have very high expectations for myself,” Govern said. “As long as I play like I know I’m capable of, I can make an impact in the state series.”
No matter the outcome of Govern’s individual season, nor the Cougars’ team season, both agree Boe has prepared them greatly not only in the game of golf, but in life as a whole.
“Coach Boe is great,
because he understands that improvement isn’t an overnight process,” Govern said. “He works with us every day so we become better golfers and better men.”