Girl’s Cross Country: New season, new image

Jack Leach, Sports Editor

Cross-country can be a grueling sport, comprised of many aches and injuries, but with correct preparation, runners experience physical and mental success.

“It’s not just running; there’s a lot of technique to it,” head coach Janeen Carlberg said. “Each day consists of a different practice. One day we’ll have a long-run practice followed by a dynamic stretch session, while the next day will consist of a speed workout.”

Senior captain, Sara Dyer, speaks of the importance of practice.

“Prior to last season, I was in a boot for six weeks, so it was difficult to come back,” Dyer said. “The coaches really prepared me though, and I was proud of how I ran.”

According to Dyer, Carlberg and new assistant coach Joey Santillo, have trained the girls efficiently for the conference and state championships.

“I love how she (Carlberg) brings a lot of energy to practice every day, and how she brings the team together,” Dyer said. “Her new training techniques have really improved our team.”

Carlberg’s new training techniques have benefited the entire team, especially that of three individuals.

“We have three individuals that can make the state playoffs,” Carlberg said. “We have a junior in Cassidy Martin; she’s already shown great improvement, and has ran faster times than last year. We have Megan Worm, a sophomore who runs very strong. Lastly, a freshman, and sibling of former Cougar Lexi Grigg, Alyssa Grigg.”

Although the individual seasons of these Cougars look to be bright, the team season follows a difficult path.

“We’re definitely a part of a rebuilding season,” Carlberg said. “We lost a lot of senior leadership, but I’m eager to see how our underclassmen respond, because if they commit to themselves, and trust themselves, we have the potential to become a strong program.”