Where Are They Now?

Jack Leach, Sports Editor

The year’s first edition of Where Are They Now? will feature the two newest additions to South’s renowned “Wall of Fame”: Class of 2016 linebacker/wrestler Danny Saracco, and Class of 2015 pitcher Jordan Harbacek.
DANNY SARACCO:
Saracco’s high-school athletic career is easily recognized as one of the best in South’s sixteen-year existence.
Saracco, a three-year varsity starter in football and wrestling, made the most of his final year as a Cougar.
“DS9” as many would call him, earned his first all-area nod, along with a SPC Defensive Player of the Year award after posting 98 tackles, 28 tackles for loss, and six sacks.
Saracco also made an impact offensively, as he rushed for three touchdowns.
On top of one of the best individual football seasons in the state of Illinois, Saracco’s major acheivements in wrestling proved that his senior winter season was arguably better.
Another all-area selection was evident, as Saracco (195 lbs.) broke a school-record of 173 takedowns in a season, a 42-5 season record, and a 4th place finish at state.
Saracco’s accolades include: 3x all-conference (football), 1x all-area selection, 2015 SPC Defensive Player of the Year, 2015 Herald-News Defensive Player of the Year nominee, South career tackles leader (393), 1x all-area selection (wrestling), 3x regional champion, 2x state qualifier, 4th place finish at state, South season record 173 takedowns, South career record 410 takedowns, South career record 885.5 team points.
Saracco transferred his success to Saint Xavier University, as he decided to continue his football career.
Saracco’s freshman year was redshirted, as he looked for some time to develop. But, this didn’t mean that he couldn’t make an impact on the scout team; Saracco soon was granted with the award of, Scout Player of the Year.
Currently, Saracco starts at linebacker for a Cougars team that is ranked 13th in the nation (NAIA).
JORDAN HARBACEK:
“Jordan worked tirelessly at her game. She’s perhaps the most talented pitcher PSHS has ever had,” former head coach Tara Singler said.
Singler’s description of Harbacek is very accurate as she left South as the all-time leader in wins, strike outs, and innings pitched.
Harbacek’s most impressive season from the mound occurred her junior season, as she pitched 187 innings and struck out a total of 171.
Harbacek not only was dominant from the mound, but also with her bat.
Statistically, Harbacek’s sophomore season produced the best numbers of her illustrious high-school career, as she batted .429 with 25 RBIs.
Harbacek’s accolades include: 4x all-conference, 4x all-area, 2x all-state, 1x NFCA All-Region selection, 2x team MVP.
Harbacek continued her softball career, as she committed to play Division I softball for North Kentucky University.
Harbacek was heavily involved pitching and hitting her freshman year for the Norse.
She pitched a total of 124.2 innings, threw 76 strikeouts, and finished the season with a 4.04 ERA.
For her bat, Harbacek completed her freshman year with 35 hits, 14 RBI’s, and a batting average of .278 with 126 total at-bats.
Currently, Harbacek awaits her sophomore season as she looks to progress after finishing with a 14-38 record, and a #263 rank in the country.