BeYOUty: promoting self-love

James Draille, Associate Editor

BeYOUty is a new club at South that promotes self-confidence among the student female population.  The idea centers around positivity and self-assurance, giving students a chance to talk to other females about being confident.

Plainfield North High School sponsored this club for 13 years and after a group of seniors from South attended North’s retreat, they were inspired to carry on the BeYOUty legacy.

The group consists of four seniors: Saddie Johnson, Sydney Poppe, Cecillia Urbano, Zoe Solick. The members wish to leave a positive impact on those around them.

Kim Simpson and Hannah Christie, freshmen and sophomore English teacher, is the advisor of the club at South. As teacher for nine years, Christie mentions her struggle with confidence when she was younger, describing herself as “super awkward, super nerdy and super into sports.”

Students adore Christie’s ambitious personality, and she was even elected staff speaker at last year’s graduation. She wants to help club members find their confidence.

“The mission is to promote self-love and confidence for all the girls in our building,” Christie said.  “It’s about everyone having a place where they feel belonged. The mission and vision of positive self-talk.”

Solick stresses the importance of self-love and acceptance.

“We’ve noticed [self -love] is more common now. We realized girls judge each other for being different, just because you’re different doesn’t mean you should be hating on other girls,” Solick said.

The leaders, who are the current members of BeYOUty, want girls to be on the highest level of self -comfort and confidence, and they want South to know the club is free of judgememt.

The importance of the club also revolves around being able to share information so no student feels like they are the only one going through their situation.

“It’s all about celebrating the differences,” Urbano said.

Christie agrees that it’s hard to be yourself in school, and that social media has put students struggling with confidence in a situation where they feel conflicted.

“I think people put on a persona that life is perfect and is happy. It can be challenging when kids compare their own lives to what they see on social media,” Christie said.

The leaders of BeYOUty club plan on leaving a positive impact at South, and hope to promote the message of positivity and self-confidence towards the female population.