Social studies teacher supports students

Spencer Trevizo, Online EIC

Tim Tokars sees a struggling student, acting out of his character and disrupting the class. Tokar’s first reaction is not to reprimand but to ask if anything is going on in his life. He is a teacher that stands out among the crowd. He takes his job seriously, cares, and also makes each class fun and engaging, according to his students.
Tokars knew for a long time that teaching was something he wanted to do. During his high school years, he noticed many of his peers struggling with tough decisions and realized that he wanted to be able to help young people.
“I, Mr. Tokars, am enthusiastic about your growth as an individual: personally, socially, and academically,” Tokars said.
In pursuit of his goal, Tokars followed in his mother’s footsteps. He attended the same community college and university as her. He spent his first two years at Waubonsee Community College and then later transferred to Northern Illinois University.
Tokars’s teaching style is what seems to set him apart from other South teachers.
“The thing that makes him stick out from the crowd as far as other teachers is that he’s relentless,” Kristen Preissler, Social Studies teacher, said. “He doesn’t settle. He likes to push the envelope and make sure that kids are getting the education that they deserve.”
In the classroom Tokars treats each of his students as his equal, referring to them as either Mr. or Ms. followed by their last name. This simple change of name created an environment that students feel respected and eager to learn in. Tokars also provides incentives in the form of doughnuts if his classes can achieve goals that they set for themselves.
Even with only a few years in the classroom, Tokars has made an impression on his students.
“He’s honestly one of the best teachers that I’ve had at South just because of how he teaches and how much he cares about the students,” said senior, Cassie Lorenz.
Outside of the classroom Tokars is the coach for the sophomore girls basketball team and he feels hopeful for the upcoming season.
“This is the third year building a program [The Basketball Team] and it’s going well and I’m excited to see who trys out and what we have come season time,” Tokars said.
With his current line up Tokars expects to have a strong varsity team this year.
Outside of school Tokars enjoys reading and learning whenever he can. He likes to have conversations and see other people’s points of view on controversial subjects. He also enjoys spending time with his friends and family.
“He’s a goofy guy, kind-hearted and sincere in the things that he loves and the things that he does within his personal life,” Preissler said.