Where Are They Now?

Jack Leach, Sports Editor

The year’s second edition of “Where Are They Now?” will feature two former fall season standouts: Class of 2016 defensive end/wrestler Eric Johnson and Class of 2014 golfer Alexandra Catalano.
ERIC JOHNSON:
You know you’re dealing with some extraordinary athletic ability when you walk into South’s weight room and see a 6’5” individual doing handstands on the pull-up bar.
This was just a little representation of what Johnson’s athletic career had to offer.
But, what sport was Johnson better at: Wrestling or football?
That’s the real question.
Johnson’s wrestling career really took storm his junior year as he returned to the same state championship where he couldn’t place at the year before.
But, representing South with a 44-3 regular season record, along with his first all-conference nod, Johnson looked to improve; improve he did.
Johnson (220 lb.) captured second place at state after taking a loss to #1-seeded Joshua King from Hinsdale South High School.
His senior year looked more promising, as Johnson entered the field of state competition as the #1-seeded wrestler in the state (220 lb.) with an undefeated record of 45-0.
Unfortunately, after a second-round loss to Oak Park River Forest’s Andrew Stallings, Johnson ended up finishing third place.
But with all these massive achievements, Johnson still seemed to favor the game of football a little more.
Johnson’s high-school career was remembered for what unreal things he did for that playoff-bound Cougars team his senior year.
Johnson broke two single-season school records that stand to this day: 17 sacks in a single season, and 29 tackles for loss.
Johnson’s senior football season lead to a lot of college exposure, and interest from several universities across the nation.
A college that caught the eye of Johnson especially, was a Division I school out of the Missouri Valley Conference: Missouri State University.
Johnson currently has logged in 16 total tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, and 3 QB hits for the Bears in his redshirt freshman season.
ALEXANDRA CATALANO:
South has had plenty of stellar athletes come out this school in its sixteen-year existence; a majority remembered, but some forgotten.
Catalano’s game is that of one’s who has unfortunately became slept on and unappreciated.
2x SPC Conference MVP. 4x All-Conference.
Have you finally awaken from your deep slumber?
Catalano needs her awaited recognition, especially after carrying an indicative reputation of being arguably the greatest girl’s golfer in South history.
Catalano’s impressive 4-year career began on a high note after becoming the first freshman in South’s girl’s golf history to qualify for sectionals.
Along with qualifying for her first sectional, Catalano finished top-10 in the SPC, and earned her first all-conference honors.
This path continued in similar fashion for Catalano as she grew older, and by the end of her senior season, Catalano finished as a 4x sectional qualifier, 2x SPC Conference MVP, 4x All-Conference nominee, 4x Top-10 SPC finisher, and most importantly, Team MVP honors after a 2013 season that ended with South’s first ever conference championship.
After an illustrious high-school career, Catalano took her talents to the University of Saint Francis in Joliet, Illinois.
Catalano’s collegiate career was off to a great start as she played in all ten events during the regular season, and placed 10th at the CCAC (Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference) conference championship her freshman year.
Catalano continued to accel not only on the golf course, but in the classroom, as she earned Academic All-Conference honors her sophomore and junior seasons.
Catalano, a potential back-to-back All-Conference winner, currently awaits her senior season for the Fighting Saints this spring.