Senior Class President ignites energy among student population

Isabella Paredes, Editor-in-Chief

The Plainfield South High School 2017 – 2018 senior class president, Joseph Calabrese, reflects on his campaign strategies and reveals plans for the year ahead.

Calabrese spent two weeks working hard and planning for his campaign so that he could make change happen around the school.

“I want to get super involved my senior year and I’ve always saw things that I wanted to see happen, but I couldn’t really do that as not doing anything,” Calabrese said in regard for his reason for running.

“He clearly has a passion for this culture, this school, and his fellow students. He genuinely cares about his peers,” John Miller, Calabrese’s rhetoric teacher, said.

The class of 2018 influenced Calabrese’s feelings about school. He expresses how his class’s atmosphere serves as one of the biggest motivations for him in running his campaign.
Teachers at South influence Calabrese as well.

“Mr. Boe, he’s always super positive and always says ‘Take that initiative, take that ambition, and go with it’,” Calabrese said.

The name Calabrese made it around the school quickly, as he placed his campaign posters up all over the school the first week of October.

“No one really did it before and I thought it would be neat,” said Calabrese in regard to the reason for making campaign posters.

There are many items on Calabrese’s agenda as senior class president.

“I want to try and highlight some of the support faculty as well as trying get students involved to create a patriotism surrounding Plainfield South,” Calabrese said.

Other students around the school feel excitement for his presidency as well.

“I want to see him have fun and try to bring about as much positive change as he can,” senior Jonathan McNamara said.

Teachers at South agree.

“I think he’ll approach [the presidency] in different ways it has been approached before,” Miller said.