Girls bowling creates friendly environment, maintains a persistence in improving consistency

Caitlin Deerwester, Page Design Editor

With the experience of new head coach Kyle Rohlfs, the girls bowling team believe they will see improvement from last season.

So far, the bowling team competed in one invite where they placed 18th out of 24 teams. Even though they didn’t win, coach Rohlfs believes they will do much better by the end of the year.

“We did have three of our girl’s finish in the top 50% with one girl finishing 10th individually,” Rohlfs said. “So, we were happy with what we did overall.”
Although scores are taken individually, bowling is all about teamwork no matter the outcome, according to Rohlfs.

“If someone isn’t bowling their best, it’s important for the team to be there for that person and cheer them up,” Holler said.

Sophomore Savannah Magruder said the team is diverse because each girl possesses a different skill that contributes to the team. Through their combined skills the team motivating each other and improving the team as a whole.

“I honestly love seeing the smiles on the girl’s faces when they start to learn something new or they do something that they thought they could not,” Rohlfs said.

Coach Rohlfs has been playing since he was five years old and has been active with the team for many year, as both his daughters have gone through the program.

“To me bowling is just an avenue that can lead to many other things like college,” Rohlfs said. “Like seeing the girls talk to scouts about the possibility of scholarships be given to them for their hard work. But overall, my favorite thing is trying to teach a game I love, for the future of the sport.”

Hard work leading to college scholarships, begins with technique, skill, and teamwork, perfected with practice.

“Bowling is more skill than anything,” senior Alex Hollor said. “The coaches encourage positive attitudes and being supportive to one another.” Alongside those skills, the girls stretch and do strength exercises. They even learn the history of the sport.

Coach Rohlfs makes it clear to the team that he will never give up on them as long as the girls promise to never give up on themselves.