Alumni receive awards in Athletic Hall of Fame

Jordan McClendon, Staff Writer

Plainfield South High school honored four individuals at its inaugural athletic hall of fame induction ceremony on Jan 26.
“Over a year ago we started this process. First we had a committee together to create the requirements that people would need to get into the hall of fame,” said Chet lines, assistant athletic director, teacher and committee member.
Sub committees were created so that everything could be set up for the banquet, according to Lines.
“Another subcommittee with voters was created and from there people from the community were chosen,” Lines said
“We put it out on South’s school website and social media so that anyone who wanted to nominate someone could,” Lines said.
Members of the community, not just staff members and students from South, were invited to this event.
According to Caroline Butler, teacher, golf coach and committee member, the purpose of having the athletic hall of fame is to highlight individuals who made tremendous accomplishments in their time at South or after.
“We didn’t just want to focus on staff or students who were doing well right now. We wanted to highlight alumni,” Butler said.
The athletic hall of fame activities were held in the café for those who reserved seats and the gym for anyone who wished to see the inductee ceremony.