South’s Hidden Figures: Q&A with Set Director Tom Mulcahy

Tyler Rojas, Staff Writer

Q: How long have you been helping out at South?
A: I’ve been involved at South since my son TJ was a freshman about six years ago.

Q: What types of tasks do you help out with?
A: I’m the Set Director who builds sets for the Fall Play and Spring Musical, the fundraising chair for the band boosters, the vice-president of the choir boosters and the A/V chair at the inaugural PSHS Marching Band Invitational.  I help out with most theater and drama events at the school.

Q: Why did you decide to start helping?
A: Being involved at school events that my kids and their friends have been part of has been one of the greatest opportunities in my life.  I never really appreciated music and arts until watching these kids perform at all these events.  I’ve watched my kids make lifelong friends, and I will never forget the incredible opportunities I’ve been able to experience here at South.
Q: What do you do outside of helping at South?

A: I am an environmental contractor working for a company that cleans up hazardous material spills and treats hazardous wastes so they can be disposed of safely.  I’m on the parish council at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Plainfield and occasionally work with the Plainfield Historical Society and Plainfield Riverfront.  Every summer I play mud volleyball.
Q: How is it difficult to manage time?

A: That’s one of the hardest things of all.  I try to keep lists of things to be done, prioritize everything and write everything down in a calendar.  That rarely actually works, so I end up scrambling to get everything done based on what’s due next.
Q: What are your thoughts/enjoyments working with the drama program?

A: The kids in the drama program, musical theater, band and choir always amaze me.  I’ve never been around such talented and gifted people in my life.  I know the school appreciates what I do, but I get so much more out of the time I spend at South than anyone will ever know.

Q: Anything else you want people to read/hear about what you do?
A: I would encourage everyone to go to a performance at South at least once.  The time and energy these incredibly talented students put into a show is amazing.  South students approach these shows as if they were professional performances.