Junior guard creates unforgettable experience

Shields, a Hinsdale South transfer, warms up prior to his first career game as a Cougar.

Jack Leach, Sports Editor

According to Fred Kerber’s article in the New York Post, Russell Westbrook is undoubtedly, “the most explosive player on the planet.”
The type of tenacity and relentlessness that Westbrook possesses has drawn comparisons to the play of junior guard, Levert Shields.
“Levert has an explosive edge to him,” assistant coach Eric Lantero said. “Whether it’s dribbling or finishing in the lane, he is extremely quick and can get to the rim at ease.”
Shields, a Hinsdale South transfer, has quickly fit into a starting role for the Cougars.
“Levert is a great teammate on the court,” junior forward Dulane Hampton-Caffrey said. “He helps us get the offense rolling, and it’s good to know that the ball’s in the right hands.”
Hampton-Caffrey, a current teammate of Shields, has quite the interesting past with him.
“In 7th grade when I played for Burr Ridge Middle School, we played Dulane and his Roosevelt Middle School team,” Shields said. “With three seconds left, I hit the game winning shot on him.”
According to Hampton-Caffrey, all things tend to happen for a reason.
“We continued to play at the same gym for years,” Hampton-Caffrey said. “For him to transfer to the same school as me; I couldn’t be any happier to play with my blood brother.”
Shields’ 7th grade moment, a highlight in his basketball career, is second to a memory made this year.
“The Pack the House event was special to me,” Shields said. “Those kids just want to have fun, and experience the same as us basketball players. I knew being a part of it was going to mean a lot to them, because I feel like everyone should have equal opportunities.”
According to Lantero, things like this encompass the true meaning of a student-athlete.
“He had the biggest smile on his face when he was helping the players warm up,” Lantero said. “He wanted to make the players’ night all about them. It’s great to see that with a young athlete.”