Career week offers interesting careers, choices at South

Bella Parades, Editor in Chief

Experts in their respective fields visited Plainfield South on the week of March 19 for ‘Career Week,’ which encourages students to consider a variety of career paths.
Professionals in every field, ranging from journalism and communications to real estate and digital marketing, spoke to students in their study halls and classes. Adam Underhill, a financial advisor with Edward Jones, was one of those professionals.
“I strongly believe in giving back to the community and know that High school students are at a very fun time in their lives, but also a very important time as they look into college and future occupations,”
Underhill said. He said that when Lisa Scanlan, sciences teacher and advisor of student council, asked him to speak at PSHS it was a ‘no brainer.’
Neil Rubenstein, a digital marketer who builds brand awareness for his clientele through social media and other digital tactics, also made an appearance at South during career week.
Rubenstein said he hopes to show students that there is no need to choose a career immediately, as his career did not exist until a few years after his college graduation.
Lisa Schiavone, a full-time realtor, said she was asked to come to South by Scanlan and she jumped at the opportunity.
“Knowing that your earning potential is unlimited and you have the ability to be your own boss should be extremely interesting,” Schiavone said. “I wanted to share that to be truly successful in any field it is important to really be ambitious, enthusiastic and to face your day with excitement.