Art Spotlight: Juvenal Angulo, new editorial cartoonist of Paw Print

Emily Sherrill, Business Manager

In the past few years, the Paw Print struggled to find a great artist capable of creating clever editorial cartoons and graphics for each edition of the newspaper. This year, art teacher Daron Wojnowski recommended a student he believed was a phenomenal illustrator and dedicated worker. A week later, freshman Juvenal Angulo began working with the newspaper to prepare for the sectionals competition on April 21 and assist in editorial and graphic design.
At the sectional competition at Naperville Central High School, Angulo advanced to the state finals after placing 3rd in Ad Design. Although he make it in the top six positions at state, the Paw Print celebrated their first freshmen to advance out of sectionals.
Angulo developed his interest in cartooning at a young age, drawing inspiration from cartoons such as “Invader Zim” and “Adventure Time”.
“I take a lot of inspiration from Mike Mignola who does the ‘Hellboy’ comics,” Angulo said.
Angulo hopes to pursue art as a career, possibly as an animator or comic book artist.
“His art has inspired me to become a better and more involved artist. He has motivated me to try harder in becoming a better artist,” said freshman Abbey Heroldt, a close friend of Angulo.
Wojnowski, who teaches Angulo’s art foundations class, described Angulo as talented, dedicated, and a good leader.
“There’s a lot of kids who can draw, but Juve will hit deadlines, and Juve will put the time in. He wants to get better,” said Wojnowski.
Aside from his artistic abilities, Angulo is a very compassionate and understanding person.
“I really enjoy having him as one of my best friends,” Heroldt said. “He has the kind of personality where he can be friends with everyone.”
Caroline Butler, journalism advisor, says that Juve went above and beyond to prepare himself for proper preparation before the sectional and state series. According to Butler, he would come in every day during his lunch and work with her on ideas for design.
“Juve has a successful road ahead of him in journalism, and I can’t wait to see what work he produces for the Paw Print as well.”

Juvenal Angulo enjoys drawing cartoons in his free time. His caricatures will be a staple of the newspaper next year.