Q&A with girls rugby

James Dralle, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editor

Having the opportunity to interview student athletes is a rewarding feeling. The Rugby team of Plainfield involves all the high schools in District 202. I’ve known these two particular individuals throughout my academic career. If it’s one thing that hasn’t changed, it’s their compassion to pursue the things they love. One of those they hold close to their heart is Rugby.
Q.) What made you interested in playing Rugby?
What sparked my interest for rugby [started] when my friends from other schools encouraged me to come to practice during the indoor spring training season in 2017. They had always told me how fun it was and how many new friends and relationships they’ve made from it, so I thought I’d give it a try. Now my teammates are some of my closest friends.
-Morgan Smolik
I got interested after seeing girls post about the team on social media [when they were] looking for new players. It looked fun, so I just went for it! My favorite thing about rugby is definitely the intensity of it and of course tackling. Size doesn’t really matter, so taking down a bigger girl feels great. 

-Kaitlin Marr

Q.) Describe the type of personality you need in order to play rugby?

To play rugby, you need to have a tough personality. You need to be able to take the criticism, but never take it to heart. You can’t let anything get to you, because there will be games with your team and other players yelling at you, but most of the time it’s to help you understand the game better and play to your best ability. You can’t be the type to get discouraged easily and get down on yourself over little things like criticism.

-Morgan Smolik

I wouldn’t say there’s a set personality that you need to play. Some of the nicest girls I have met are on my team, as well as some of the most aggressive. However, when it comes to game time, it’s very important to be aggressive towards the other team.

-Kaitlin Marr

Q.) Is there any team conditioning or exercising you do? If so, please explain.

We have practice every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and in those hours of practicing we do team drills, scrimmages, line outs, tackle drills, ball handling drills, [and] everything we would need to know how to do in a game. Our coach Kassandra always makes sure we practice what we need to work on most. Rugby is not even so much about the physical condition of the players (that does have a big impact on how good your team is though) but mostly the relationships with the players. In order to have a good team, all drama needs to be eliminated, and communication between players on the field is a huge impact on whether you win the game or not.
-Morgan Smolik

Q.) What’s your favorite thing about rugby as a whole?
My favorite thing about rugby is that I’ve learned so much about the game, more than I ever thought I’d know, and I’ve made some friendships that I never would’ve had without it. The bond I have with my teammates is like no other. We have learned how to get along and work together as a whole, and to join together as one when it’s time for a game. I’ve learned new social skills, as we do community events such as ‘Feed My Starving Children’ as a team or volunteer at retirement homes. We’re a family and nothing can separate the bonds we have.

-Morgan Smolik

My teammates have to be my favorite thing about playing on a team. I’ve made so many friends through this, on both teams, and lots of fun memories.

-Kaitlin Marr