Sexual misconduct allegations raise suspicion in media s

Alexis Polizzi, Editorial & Opinion Editor

Many controversies have emerged lately in the political sphere, involving top leaders such as Donald Trump, Brent Kavanaugh and more. The media draws attention to a common narrative through line in the midst of these controversies: bullying.
Perhaps, the most recent case comes from the nation’s leader, President Donald Trump.
At a White House press conference earlier this month, reporter Cecelia Vega attempted to ask Trump about Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. After suggesting she was “shocked” he picked her, she began her question with, “I wasn’t thinking.” But Trump cut her off saying, “I know you weren’t thinking. You never do.” The White House’s press release later stated Trump said “I know you weren’t thanking,” but quickly revised it to “thinking” when challenged by a Republican’s tweet the next day.
Some students at Plainfield South vocalize their reactions, saying enough is enough.
“I agree and disagree with President Trump on a myriad of issues, but one thing I have always hated to see is unprofessionalism,” said Eric Radakovich, senior. “He may disagree with the things certain journalists say, but the highest authority in our country should still treat them respectfully. The main effect of this is people’s lack of trust in the president and consequently the government, and even if a president had incredible ideals, people wont trust them if they act like that.”
The media illustrates these controversies as a distinct disruption in society, further illustrating how other grand leaders of the judicial system exhibit tolerance for such mistreatment of women and the media.
Christine Ford recently accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault. But some disregard the assault allegations since the incident supposedly took place over 30 years ago.
NBC’s Megyn Kelly, recently been shamed for her own ethical dilemma in word choice, noted at Fortune’s Most Powerful Women Summit early October neutral parties are a thing of the past, and politicians constantly push their own agenda and narrative.
“I am aware of what has been going on and feel that it is having an impact on all citizens. I think that no matter where one falls on this issue, open communication and dialogue is always positive,” said Amy Brown, English teacher. “Sometimes controversy can initiate productive conversation with someone and allows you to better understand with their position and become more tolerant as a result.”
Others feel women’s rights have reversed due to political and media tensions.
“Women definitely have less representation than men both economically and politically. This therefore gives men more authority over the women in this country, as shown with Kavanaugh’s election,” said Khalia Callihan, senior.
For now, the nation will have to watch as more controversies erupt in this upcoming election period.