South’s basketball programs emits excellence, reflects on multiple “first time” accomplishments in South’s history

Ryan Daniels, Online Editor in Chief

Both Girls’ Basketball and Boys’ Basketball have been plowing the competition this school year. The boys’ team plays against East Aurora on Monday in their first round of state playoffs, recently going against Oswego High School and next Friday they’re playing regional championship.
The girls’ team just finished their best season ever at South. Their season ended last week with a semi-final loss against East Aurora. Final score was 50-40. They scored 70 points in a game for the first time in history twice this season.
“We will also have the addition of a handful of talented JV players who also had a successful season, winning their last eight games of the season and finishing with a 8-1 SPC Conference Record,” said Lincoln Depaula, Girls Basketball Coach.
Some of their accomplishments include: most wins in a season in PSHS history; 16, previous was 12. First winning record in PSHS history; 16 wins & 10 losses. First time with a winning record in Southwest Prairie Conference (SPC); five wins and four losses. Highest earned sectional seed ever for PSHS in the state playoffs; seven,  previous was 14. They scored 70 points in a game for the first time in history (twice this season).
Senior Shannon Smith earned SPC All-Conference selection scoring 345 total points this season, averaging just under 14 points per game. Smith also earned All-Tournament selection at Blue Devil Holiday Classic Tournament, alongside sophomore Aniya Mabry. Mabry’s broke the record for most steals in a Season with 77 with dominant defensive performances through the Season.
“We were able to accomplish all of that, despite having the youngest team in the conference with only one senior and one junior most of the season.  We will have everyone back (except for Shannon unfortunately) next year, one year older and more experienced,” DePaula said.

[email protected]