Faculty Spotlight: Featuring Thomas Blake

Ryan Daniels, Online EIC

This month the Paw Print took time to appreciate Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) teacher and Girls Soccer Coach, Thomas Blake. Blake has been teaching a total of eight years, and six years here at South. Blake began teaching at Manteno High School and Herscher High School, which he says has a similar environment.
“I think that we have a really good mix of passionate teachers who look out for the best interests of our students and a lot of our students just really care about what’s best for everybody,” said Blake.
Blake mentions exciting news with the CADD team going into the IDEA (Illinois Design Educators Association) in March. There is drawing categories, software categories, and currently team categories for architecture and engineer.
“This past year we had seven different students qualify for state, which is a lot; it’s the most we’ve ever had.”
“It is extremely busy, especially the two teams because they have to do a lot of work outside of class and they have to present their work,” said Blake
Blake also coaches the girls’ Varsity and JV Soccer after school. He mentions how hard-working they’ve been and how smooth the season has gone so far.
“We started the year with a lot to improve on and the girls have hit every benchmark that we’ve given them, so it’s been really good,” said Blake.
Blake recently welcomed his newborn son Thomas Tristen Blake, who is two weeks and four days old. Blake mentions the “Thomas” name has been passed down for generations.
“Every couple of generations it’s common for the person to go by their middle name instead, there’s no juniors involved,” said Blake.