New tutoring center opened for South student population

Mireya Stoica, Staff Writer

The tutoring center at South is for students who need help for various reasons, whether they need to review, check work, or make sure they are organizing their assignments properly. There are other students who volunteer to help their peers who are struggling.

“In recent years we had the math lab and all those different concepts, but we wanted something that gave all students an opportunity to jump in and get assistance,” Ben Delange, who assists in the tutoring center, said.

The tutoring center is now held in the media center during all lunch periods. This is a good opportunity to help students who seek help in subjects they aren’t confident in and want help. The tutoring center is open on Mondays, and every other following day, students may sign up for the tutoring center on sign up genius.

This is the first year that the tutoring center is not mandatory for students because students who were scheduled would not show up or wouldn’t participate with their tutors. Students may sign up for the tutoring center on sign up genius to go during your lunch period. The tutoring center has been slow and not many students have been coming in according to Phil Pakowski.

“What we’re seeing is that many students are signing up but not showing up. We are trying to come up with ideas to market it a little better and get the word around. We’re going to come up with a video and play it during second hour during announcements,” Phil Pakowski, the assistant principal, said.

The administration is trying to convince more students who are struggling to go to the tutoring center. They would appreciate if students will send in ideas of how to attract more students. There are, however, other resources students have if they don’t want to go to the tutoring center.

Freshmen have many options for getting additional help, South runs an extended math and English, so freshmen can stay with their math or English teacher during their study hall. For upperclassmen there aren’t as many options, but still a slight few.

“For our sophomores, juniors, and seniors outside of the tutoring center they have the option to work with a peer tutor not only during lunch, but some of the peer tutors are willing to come before school or stay after. They also have the option of working with their teacher,” Pakowski said.

There are other options students have if they don’t want to go to the tutoring center during their lunch period. The tutoring center is a place where all students should take advantage of.

The tutoring center is now held in the media center during 4th,5th, and 6th lunch periods. This is a good opportunity to help students who seek help in subjects they aren’t confident in and want help. The tutoring center is open on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays during all lunch periods. Take advantage of this opportunity and help make the tutoring center known to students who are struggling or need help.