South coed cheerleading team one of top competitors in Illinois

Aidan Kolb & Anna Sheaffer, Staff Writers

In recent years, Plainfield South coed cheerleading team has become a top competitor in Illinois, making state four years in a row.
Last year the cheer team placed first at conference, first at regionals, and second in state. This year, they placed second at conference, third at sectionals, and finished 13th in state, proving that they are strong competitors in the state of Illinois.
“Becoming one of the top dogs, we did that with unity and pride,” said senior cheerleader Bree Slaby.
Slaby began her high school varsity cheer career as a junior. She will be graduating alongside other seniors that will be the first graduating class in all of District 202 history to qualify for state all four years in cheerleading.
The seniors that competed on the varsity team all four years include Lilly Goorsky, Aubry Mikel, Bria Trennor and Cadey Chartrand. Senior Jordan Lipowsky began his cheer career his sophomore year and made it to state with the rest of the team the following three years.
Now that Plainfield South Cheer is one of the top teams in Illinois they have been trying to carry out their legacy. Building culture and image is very important for their future.
“South brings great competition and our coach always talks to us about their
techniques,” said sophomore cheerleader Giannah Marbie from Belvidere North.
Coach Brooke Twohill credits their winning attitude to setting clear goals and expectations in order to build a stronger culture.
“I had to tighten the screws on our expectations,” Twohill said.
Twohill said that she makes her cheerleaders set team and individual goals for the season. These are the core values that are posted on the bulletin board near their practice area.
“Those are their driving words that they always have to be aware of,” Twohill said.
The team decided they needed a strong culture as they have faced several obstacles this season.
“This year, the coed division is harder than ever. Everyone is beating each other by tenths of a point and in order to win, you have to be on top of your game from the start of the routine all the way to the end,” said senior cheerleader Jordan Lipowski.
Coach Twohill makes sure that she prepares her team for the tough competition by discussing their techniques. Preparing themselves for the competition has been crucial to bringing them to state for the past two years, and their future looks bright.
“I think the future of PSHS cheer looks great. Our coaches have built up an amazing program and have done so many great things until now and it’s bound to keep going,” said junior cheerleader Ellie Grundon.
Plainfield South cheer hopes to continue their success over the upcoming years of competition.