COVID-19 overwhelms healthcare system, Illinois approaches bent curve

Joseph Galon, Staff Writer

The spread of COVID-19, more commonly known as coronavirus, has exponentially increased the past few weeks, overwhelming medical centers and personnel, and causing many others to begin to worry as to what may happen in the coming weeks. Originating in Wuhan, China, the virus has begun to spread all over the world. Originally dismissed as nothing to worry about, the virus quickly grew to become a global pandemic.
On March 20, Illinois Governor JB Pritzker declared a stay-at-home order for the entire state of Illinois, prohibiting non-essential workers from going outside as well as gatherings that involve 10 or more people.
Many students have taken to social media to express their discontent and boredom regarding the stay-at-home order as well as their dislike for online learning. Some students, however, have been completely ignoring the order, to the dismay of their peers.
According to the Illinois Department of Health as of today, out of a total of 110,616 people tested so far, 23,247 have tested positive, and 868 have died as a result of COVID-19. Many of the cases in Illinois are concentrated in its northeastern area, where the population is much higher and more dense.
Many medical centers are overwhelmed by the recent increase of coronavirus cases. Hospitals are not the only places that are having issues, though. Nursing homes are also vulnerable to the dangers that coronavirus can bring, due to the large amounts of elderly people who reside in them.
My mother is a certified nursing assistant and is employed at a nursing home. They are also taking many precautions, due to how vulnerable elderly are to the virus. “We’re not allowing visitors any more,” she said. “We have to make sure that we take care of ourselves in order to keep everyone safe.”
My aunt, who is a transplant nurse at the University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences System in its medical center, has had a few direct experiences with COVID-19. She knows a few people who have acquired it as well.
As for how it affects her and her job, she said, “Before and after we enter the patient’s room, we always make sure to wash our hands and sanitize properly. If we have someone who may have COVID, we take extra precautions and wear extra protective gear, like face shields and masks. We’re not allowing any visitors either.”
According to Governor Pritzker, Illinois is actively bending the COVID-19 curve and hopefully it stays that way.