Q&A with Ms. Frederick

Emily Manning, Editor-in-Chief

Q: What kind of lessons do you hope that students will be able to take away from the current situation we find ourselves in today?
A: My hope is that students will feel empowered from this experience. Though at this time it may seem difficult to have a positive mindset and motivation to continue forward, I am certain that our students will rise to the task. As I always tell my students, I am standing in front of the future leaders of this world, and in this moment, those individuals are making history. Hearing the stories of how my students have reached out to support others at this time or volunteer to assist in any way possible is extraordinary. I hope my students hold this memory dearly and continue to live a life of selflessness and service.

Q: What kind of advice would you give to all your students during this time?
A: My advice would be to take care of yourselves. I’ve noticed on social media a lot of posts indicating that if you have not picked up a new hobby or completed a huge task during this quarantine, then you have not done anything to work upon yourself. THAT IS FALSE!! Sometimes taking care of yourself means knowing when you are mentally and emotionally able to complete a large task or if you simply need to rest! We are all experiencing this differently, and it is unfair to judge how someone else deals with what is going on in our current world. Be kind to yourselves, and be kind to others.

Q: Since choir is a heavy hands-on class and now that most of the events that students would have performed at, how is your teaching style going to change to accommodate not being able to teach in person and no longer having to prepare for concerts at this time?
A: I am amazed by how our teachers, staff, and administration have handled this change. We were all asked to drop almost everything we knew about teaching and learn how to engage students virtually all within the matter of less than a week. Our classrooms have completely transformed- especially the fine arts. I will admit that I am still learning how to continue the performance aspect of our class; however, I am confident that we will continue to learn this together. I am exceptionally grateful to have a network of colleagues who continue to share their experiences and ideas to keep our choir classrooms fun and interesting.

Q: What has been your favorite activity that you’ve done to keep yourself busy through quarantine?
A: Many people may not know this about me, but I’m actually a pretty decent painter! Being a first year teacher and new to PSHS, I haven’t had the time to paint as frequently as I used to. I am grateful that this quarantine has allowed me reignite my passion for painting. I’m hoping to create a few pieces to present in the choir room (we all know it needs some more color in there)!

Q: Have you found any new music, whether it be song, group, or musical, that you feel should get more recognition that you’d like to share with readers?
A: At this moment, there isn’t any new music I have experienced. My students are currently working on their “Soundtrack to Life” assignment in which they choose 10 songs and describe the impact each song has had on their life. I’m excited to read my students’ submissions so hopefully I can discover some new songs and artists to expand my music library!

Q: What affect or impact do you believe music has on society during this time?
A: At this time, many people are looking to artists to fulfill their livelihood. By this, I mean that many people are watching movies or Netflix, listening to new music and artists, watching Broadway musicals online, painting or crafting in their own homes, etc. to feel some sense of normalcy. When people disregard or undervalue the arts, I want them to think back to this time where they relied on art.