Varsity football looks to grow as a team this season following COVID-19 shutdown

Delaney O'Sullivan, Editor in Chief

The Plainfield South football team is reaching the end of a regular fall season after the COVID-19 shutdown that moved fall 2020 sports to the spring. 

Following an unusual season, which took place in spring as opposed to the typical fall season, the varsity Cougars currently hold a record of 3-3 and the young team starts three sophomores. 

“When you have a team like that, you do experience ups and downs because they’re learning,” said head coach Bill Bicker, who has been at the helm for six years. 

After over a year of remote learning, Bicker says getting back into routines and relearning what makes a team successful has played a large part in this season. 

“All the things we do in a typical off season, weightlifting, playing other sports, the things we do to build comradery as a team but also get better at the sport haven’t been there as much or at all,” Bicker said.  

Although South is back in person this school year, the team still takes precautionary measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and keep everyone safe.

“We have to wear masks when we are inside,” senior defensive end Tyler Goorsky said. 

In addition to wearing masks and maintaining social distancing indoors, the team does not have classroom film sessions and tries to practice outdoors at all times. 

“From the player perspective I am just glad we are getting to play and not getting our games cancelled because of COVID,” senior defensive end Lucas Jimenez said. Jimenez is also a captain on the team and says the team is “growing and getting better week by week.”

The PSHS varsity football team will face the Plainfield Central Wildcats on Oct. 8 at home.