Q&A with BSA president, Nyla Lewis

Leeander Davis, Staff Writer

Q: What is your role in BSA?”
A: “So, this is my third year on the committee chair, and this year I am presented as the president of Black Student Association”

Q: “Do you know any of the former presidents of the club?”
A: “Yeah, so, the club started my freshman year, so I’ve been able to communicate and interact with them. The first year her name was Trinity Gates, the second year her name was McKenzie, I forgot her last name, and now it’s me!”

Q: “How do you feel about the library and BSA collaboration ?”
A: “Oh I loved it, I felt like it took a really big weight off of our shoulders, and that this year it allowed us to actually enjoy the month instead of constantly having to educate. We got to put stuff together; more events, and just actually celebrate. And I feel like the library doing that helped open other’s eyes- that it’s not just us that care about it. So, somebody else in the school is thinking about it, and supporting us. So, I thought it was amazing, I loved it. I hope it continues; I really hope it does.”

Q:“Did the library bring it [the idea] up to you?”
A: “Yeah, all the topics and everything we’ve helped out with, and we put our little inputs in, or things that they need help with or clarification with, they have. They have been so open with coming to us. So, I really love that

Q: “What is your experience being a person of color inside this school?”
A: “I feel like coming from my background, which is the city where it’s mostly people of color, I feel like I’ve adapted to my surroundings? Not in the way of changing myself, but the way in which I address stuff. Especially being part of, you know, such an influential club. You know it’s important to remember who you’re surrounded by. So, I feel like, as a person of color being in this school, I have grown, I have experienced a lot, and I have learned how to be better- be more prideful especially.”

Q: “What do you think of your social identity as a black person?”
A: “What do I think of my social identity…? Like I said before I’m still growing, I’m still learning, and I’m still trying to identify who I am as a person. And as I’ve grown and seen different things, I’ve learned to appreciate who I am, what my color represents and also what I can make seen as [a black person]. Being a black woman I’m still, you know, it’s so many stereotypes and stuff like that. And I feel like I’ve really grown to define that as wrong, and to build myself up and the black women in the community. So, I feel like that’s really important to my social identity is helping others while I’m helping myself.”