SCORE basketball staff, student athletes set to succeed in upcoming 2022 winter season

Noah Negoski

On Dec. 1, members of the SCORE basketball team practice for their upcoming games. Harvey, Stratton, and Hunley lead the team members. Included in this picture are players Mason Miller, Hadi Ibrahim, James Perez, Alex Guzman, Richard Furr, and Jaimeson Power (Peer Mentor).

Anna Wittenkeller, Staff Writer

This SCORE basketball season promises plenty for both the coaches and their players this year.
William Harvey, one of the team’s coaches and the sculptures and ceramics art teacher, is looking forward to “working with the new teachers and athletes who are taking the time to get involved” with the team this year.
The SCORE basketball team started at South when the school was opened, but a critical player in the early success of the program was Darlene Kisiel. Kisiel began getting involved with the team in 2007. Even in 2007, the process for competing with other teams in the area was different than it is now. “What we originally did was call other schools in the area and inquire as to whether or not they had Special Olympics teams and then we worked with them to put together some games,” Kisiel recalls.
However, the program is not only active at South, it is also a “co-op between Plainfield East and Plainfield South High Schools,” Harvey said. The team plays under the name Plainfield School District 202, but Harvey supposes the team “could use a new mascot, maybe a two-headed wildcat,” referencing a cross between the Cougar mascot of South and the Bengal mascot of East.
A notable player on the team from South is senior James Perez. Perez is an all-star athlete, competing in basketball, track, and gymnastics. He has been playing basketball all four years of high school, and he is “looking forward to playing with the team and competing with them.”
Another notable player is senior is Jacob Smotrys. Smotrys has been playing basketball at South for two years. He said that this season, he is “hoping for a little bit of a new experience and a little bit of an adventure for [the team].” Smotrys said that he knows that the team is “going to have a good season” because he “sees a lot new people and new beginnings with the team. [His] favorite part about the team is meeting and playing with friends, having new challenges, and completing new accomplishments.” Smotrys says that being on the team is “like having a new adventure.”
Jacob Alvarez is one of the newer players on the team, but he has already been playing basketball for three years. Alvarez enjoys playing for the team because the Cougars are [his] favorite team. [He] gets to play basketball and play with friends.”
After coaching at South for 5 years, Harvey is looking forward to improving on the team’s record this season by scheduling games with other schools in the Special Olympics Illinois (SOILL) Region E. He does this alongside the Special Olympics Coordinator, who organizes competitions with other schools  near South.
While Kiesel has stepped back from coaching in recent years, she adds that she believes that “this year we have a really strong team, a lot of interest, and a lot of players who are really excited about basketball and look forward to it.”
Kiesel says that “working with our kids is always a pleasure. It’s nice for our students to work with and compete with other students. [The program] is a really nice social activity for our kids, builds their confidence and makes them feel good about themselves. It’s just a wonderful thing.”
Harvey wants to add some words of gratitude: “Big thanks to Mrs, Kisel, Mrs. Rausa for the support and Mrs. Stratton and Hundley for stepping up into coaching roles this year.”