Course Recommendations for the 2023-24 School Year

Ashley Smiley, Staff Writer

Students are currently working on course recommendations for the 2023-2024 school year, but it can be a treacherous task for some.

With new classes added to the curriculum for next year and the responsibility being left to students, many do not know where to start. Teachers and counselors are there to assist students through their choices

“We’re trying to spend more time with students during this time. During January we’ll have more conversations with students in our offices compared to during actual course selection week,” said Laura Swenson, the counselor for alpha Rom-Veq. Students can find their counselor depending on their last name and alpha section.

Counselors urge students to look through the curriculum guide on the Plainfield South website if they have any specific questions. The curriculum guide provides the name of the class, the grades they can take it, any prerequisites or requirements they may need, and a brief description of the class. 

“We try to remind the students to look at this [curriculum guide], so we do the presentation also to give a small glimpse, but we only have so much time with all of you to do that,” Swenson said.

If students want to meet with counselors, they can schedule a meeting through a white slip found in student services or through email. 

Counselors are willing to work with students the best they can, but teachers can also be there to help students with any specific questions.

“Teachers are aware of the curriculum and the skills required for success in these classes and sometimes the students don’t necessarily know the benefits of the courses they could be taking,” said Amy Brown, an English teacher.

Students have already talked with their teachers about course recommendations, but class choices for next year can be discussed all the way up to the week of Jan. 23, before students talk to their counselor. Teachers are helpful sources for students who are on the fence about a class, or even possibly switching up to a higher level class.

“I say just go in with complete and utter confidence in yourself regardless because it’s better to think you are ready for it then not,” said Ariel Robilas, junior.

Students may have remaining questions about other classes. Another way to get information is by talking to another student who has already taken the course. They can give information on what it’s like, the workload, and other facts that students may be interested in.

“Look to see what you want to do in your future and go by that. Even if you aren’t sure, having some type of direction is better than nothing,” Robilas said. 

There are many class options at South for students to experiment with a new career path, such as the WILCO program. The WILCO program offers courses on careers such as nursing, cosmetology, and jobs in the trades. It takes up three periods of a students school day, and helps students experiment with what they enjoy in a hands-on environment.

There are some new class options opening up next year, such as a dual credit US history course and a teaching focused dual credit course, called Exploring the Teaching Profession and Teaching in a Diverse Society. These classes are through JJC and University of Saint Francis, which gives students both a high school graduation credit and a college credit if they pass the course. The placement testing for these classes is Jan. 23.

The Waubonsee placement test date for any math courses is still to be determined.

Course Request review week will be with counselors the week of Jan. 23, where students will sit down and review their 2023-2024 schedule during their gym or band class. 

Final course changes need to be submitted by Feb. 24, 2023. Changes cannot be made after that unless students fail a second semester course or complete a course over summer school.