Girls’ soccer team

close bond fuels gameplay

Brad McClelland, Sports Editor

The varsity girls’ soccer team is a collage of multi-leveled athletes ranging from freshman to seniors. Each member contributes to the team unity because close relationships are a valued staple to the team this year
“On our team we are all one big family. I think all the other underclassmen and I can agree that we all look up to the upperclassmen like our big sisters. They have taught us a lot,” said freshman Shelby Bishop, who plays midfield for the team.
Senior Taylor Bucon is one of those big sisters.
“They bring lots of skills and positivity. Everyone plays together and helps one another out emotionally and physically,” said Bucon.
The girls have learned that age doesn’t matter as long as they want to compete.
“We are all really close and contribute equally. I think as underclassmen we look up to the older girls and they have taught us a lot of things. We are friends on and off of the field and that helps us be successful,” said freshman forward Taylor Metcalf.
The girls say they will reminisce on the memories they’ve made for years to come.
“I would say the best moment would be being invited to the Pepsi Co. Showdown tournament because not every team is invited and it really brought the team together and it was a great experience being able to play teams for all around Illinois,” said Bishop.
Conference games also provide great memories for the girls.
“When we were losing against Oswego East and all came back into the second half 100% and won 4-1 in a conference game,” said Metcalf.