Does school prepare students?

Kaitlin Darche, Features Editor

The education system in America is meant to help students learn, but do the lessons in schools truly pertain to real life? Some graduating this year will have little to no experience in the outside world, and the American system is to blame for that.
How are students able to achieve greatness if they can’t even figure out how to buy a house? The education system should have the same amount of classes about future financial advice as the lengthy math formulas from Calculus. Why can’t we learn how to keep track of money and balance a check book? English should involve more lessons about how to fill out job applications and how to tell if someone is qualified rather than wait until senior year to do so.
The entire purpose of public education is to use what we learn and take that into the real world, right? The school system should focus more on what’s actually going to help students than test scores that won’t even matter five years from now.
Schools need to implement more classes for the real world. If math classes added a lesson about taxes or if government classes spent more time on recent political stances, maybe the future of America would be inclined to vote.
Students who are about to vote need to know where to register for voting. They need to know the whole system in the political world. The United States expects 18 year old students to vote for the next country’s leader. But in all honesty, do students even know half of the Cabinet members?
Public education shouldn’t deter us from basic necessities in life. What about health and diseases? Do those not make the list of need to know subjects? Most of the teachers do not enforce students to participate in gym, and health classes teach the lessons for only a few days rather than going into full detail. The students should be able to know how to live a healthy and balanced life, but that’s not possible with all the unnecessary material schools shove down our throats. The health and gym classes should include more rigorous lessons about how to work out properly, or what exactly is a healthy snack. Maybe even how to have fun while exercising?
If schools are able to make classes more realistic for our future, maybe students would show up to class on time with a smile on our face and a pen in our hand. Students would not be clueless after they graduate high school.
The education system in America needs to race to the top in terms of relatability, not evaluation, recall, and resistance.