The Evolution of Social Media from 1969 to Now

Kaitlin Darche, Features Editor & Photographer

Social media is a branch of digital technology in the 21st century that has boomed almost as much as the steam engine in the Industrial revolution. Just in 2014 alone there were 1.79 billion users on social media across the globe. According to Statista, a statistical and studies website, the numbers will be keep growing as time progresses, and students will continue to be affected.

“I’ve had my Twitter since March of 2009 and prior to that I had a Tagged account, which I think is obsolete now. I’ve also had a Facebook account since September of 2008,” said senior Brianna Rickard.

In 1969 CompuServe and Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET) were first created. CompuServe became the first company to offer electronic mail and deliver technical support for personal computer users. During that time, ARPANET connected four university computers to communicate and share information with each other that we still have feel today.

In 1989, British scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented/initiated the World Wide Web. Berners-Lee created the first web page after it went public in 1991.

1997 brought along the age of instant messengers. SixDegrees.com is considered the first social networking site. The site included popular features such as: profiles, friend lists, and school affiliations. AOL and Internet Relay Chat (IRC) created a new language of OMG, BRB, LOL, etc.

“Social media has broadened my horizons of the world around me,” said senior Megan Kocanda.

By 2002 55 million people used the internet for work. Microsoft launched Xbox Live, an online multiplayer gaming service that had critics mocking at the idea.

One year later MySpace was created in a span of ten days to keep up with the pace of Friendster, but soon surpassed it growing to become the most popular social networking site in 2006 with 100 million users. In the same year Apple launched the iTunes Music Store with 200,000 songs and sold over one million songs in the first week. The phrase “Skype me” caught on with the launch of the calling and instant messenger service.

2005 was the year where anyone with a video camera and a computer can become the next internet sensation. YouTube took off with the first video about what makes elephants cool by the co-founder of the company, Jawed Karim.

Twitter started up in 2006 by limiting the communication in 140 characters or less, while Google reached to 400 million searches per day in the same year.

“Students are so in tune with social media, so it is the easiest way to get information to them. It has allowed me to share things about successes in my classrooms about my students, and accomplishments of my players on the teams I coach. There are also a lot of other benefits of social media that I see with other subjects other than math,” said math teacher Lauren Panek.

2007 brought the year of apps and the iPhone. Apple released the first iPhone in the United States that allowed users to access social media and apps through the phone.

By 2008 MySpace was overtaken by Facebook that became the most popular social networking site. Facebook quickly gained 350 million users by 2009.

“I love Facebook because it allows me to quickly contact and keep in touch with my distant family in Cuba and Miami,” said Rickard.

38% of adults had smartphones in 2010. Pinterest and Instagram launched letting their users to share their photos. 50 million tweets were being sent out by Twitter users per day.

2011 allowed anyone with internet to access social media from anywhere. Microsoft brought Skype for $8.5 billion.

“Social media is a great way to communicate and spread any news or announcements. Since everyone is constantly on their phones, social media is a fast and convenient way to get you message out to your intended audience,” said social studies teacher Natalie Fisher.

By 2012 Facebook has reached one billion users and has the internet at 2.4 billion.

“If my phone breaks or something I can use Facebook to still connect with my friends and family,” said senior Deanna Lofthouse.

2014 has 45% of internet users ages 18-29 in serious relationships claimed that the internet has had an impact on their relationship.

Statista estimates that this year 3.17 billion people will use the internet. The internet and social media has grown over the years and statistics show it will continue.