Teens and abusive relationships

Editorial Staff, Editor

Many stereotype abusive relationships as one that includes two adult where one is hurting the other, whether it is physical or emotional. However, it seems that abusive relationships no longer have age restrictions, as society is seeing more and more high school students involve themselves in unhealthy relationships.

Logically, the most important step to take if you find yourself in an unhealthy or abusive relationship is to break up with the other person and cut off any form of contact with that person. However, how do you completely avoid contact with someone that goes to the same school as you? Whether you have classes, lunch, or mutual friends with this person, chances are you will have to be comfortable with seeing and interacting with them on a daily basis.

Of course there are actions you can take to prevent as much contact with this person as you can, given the situation. If you are in an abusive relationship with someone that is in any of your classes, talk to your counsellor or dean. If you explain the situation to them and tell them that you are uncomfortable with taking classes or eating lunch with that person, they will most likely switch your schedule to fit your needs.

Secondly, there is a good chance that you and the person you were in a relationship with have mutual friends.  If spending time with these friends puts you in a situation where you have to interact with that person, then speak with your friends and tell them it makes you uncomfortable. You don’t have to give details, but you can explain to them that you will not be with them if they are spending time with that person.

If you feel that you are in an abusive relationship you can call the National Teen Dating Abuse hotline at 1.866.331.9474 or visit their website at teensagainstabuse.org.