South brings prom back for 2022 upperclassmen

Ella Underwood, Editor in Chief

Twenty years after Plainfield South’s first annual prom, staff works hard to safely bring back a milestone event for upperclassmen on Friday April 22, 2022.

Science teacher and student council supervisor Samantha Scanlan talks about the tradition of a Plainfield South prom.

“A few years ago, when we switched to a Friday prom, many students weren’t too sure how they would like prom on a Friday. Over the years it’s now become our tradition and it works out nicely,” Scanlan said.

Scanlan also reveals the plans for the venue and tickets for the dance.

“We have the location, menu, DJ, and photo booth booked.  We are hoping to order the favors this week and get the stickers and tickets made soon as well.  On the day of the event, we will have a guest speaker in the gym in the morning,” Scanlan said.

The excitement starts early in the day for those attending the event.

“Any students attending prom will be allowed to leave the building for the rest of the day around fourth hour to get ready for the event,” Scanlan said. Yet they must attend that day to receive the sticker required to enter.

Prom will be held at Bobak’s Signature Events this year from 6 p.m. to 11p.m. The senior banquet will be held nearly a month later at Rock Run Convention Center in Joliet on May 18, 2022, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Tickets for prom are $80 this year.

“Ticket sales will start after Spring Break on April 4 and end on April 14 during all lunch-study hall periods and before and after school,” Scanlan said. The tickets for the senior banquet will be $40, which includes a buffet dinner. These tickets will be on sale May 1, 2022, to May 11, 2022.

Upperclassmen have also voted on a menu for prom night.

“They chose the following items: Caesar salad, sautéed chicken breast with scallion lemon butter sauce, broccoli with drawn butter, garlic whipped potatoes, and white and dark chocolate mousse with chocolate shavings for dessert,” English teacher and assistant student council supervisor, Shanna Gardner, said.

The theme for this year’s prom is called, “A Night to Remember,” and will feature deep red colors and diamonds.

Scanlan and Gardner explain that the mandates on masks for prom will be dictated by whatever restrictions the school district and county have in place at that time.

In the meantime, student council works hard to prepare for a memorable evening for all students.

“I hope that the students have a good time as it should be fun,” Gardner said.